A lot of people see their leases ending during the summer months, and every year they face the same questions. Do I want to stay in my current home? Do I want to move, and if so, where? Should I upgrade or downsize? As the summer months loom closer, many are facing these questions.
Once you work out if, where, and when you want to move, you’re then faced with another set of questions revolving around what to do with your things. If there’s a gap in between your old and new lease, you have to figure out where to keep your things and for how long. If you’re moving into a smaller space, you have to sort through, declutter, and downsize your items. If you’re upgrading, you need to figure out what you have, and what you need for the new space.
These dilemmas can also be very stressful, but the sooner you find a solution the sooner you can focus on your new location. Utilizing storage services can often be the solution to many of these problems, and for some, it’s just something you’ll have to do.
People use a lot of different storage options when facing a move, but the most common of which are using storage services using portable storage containers, full-service moving and storage services, and local warehouse self-storage units. There are pros and cons to each, but we’ve compiled a brief overview of each option.
- Storage Services Using Portable Storage Containers
- Contact-free: The company will drop off or pick up your container from wherever you are, with no contact necessary.
- Cut Down on Loading Amounts: With self-storage units or when moving by yourself, you have to pack, load, unload, and unpack everything from your unit or truck and do all transportation yourself. Portable containers allow you to only load things up once, and with no transportation needed on your end, you’re saving a lot of effort.
- Ease of Use: No need to climb in and out of moving trucks – portable containers are level with the ground and easily accessible.
- Flexible Time Parameters: Load your things into your container as quickly or as slow as you desire, and set your own pace. Since your container sits in your driveway, you can load it whenever you want, for however long you need, before calling your company to pick it up. No need to be in a mad rush on moving day.
- Extra Charges: Loading and unloading your portable storage container is usually left up to you, and you would have to hire moving help to take care of moving heavy or bulky items.
- Full Service Moving & Storage
- Full Service: The biggest upside to using full-service moving & storage is that it means just that. Your company will take care of everything, and you can be completely hands off.
- Low Effort: Especially with long-distance or international moves, having a moving company take care of all of the delivery and transportation of your items is a big relief, and will save you a lot of time.
- Expense: Full-service moving and storage can be extremely expensive, especially for long-distance or international moves.
- Others Will Be Responsible for Your Things: Even professional movers can sometimes damage, lose, or otherwise mishandle your items.
- Low Access: If you have your things put in storage while waiting to have access to your new place, you may not be able to easily access your things while in storage.
- Self-Storage Units:
- Cost: Self-storage is usually the cheapest option out of the three.
- Ease of Use: Using a self-storage unit allows you to load and unload whenever you want, however you want. If you’re moving and storing at the same time, this can be a great option if you are doing things a little at a time as you set up a space, or just need to make a lot of trips.
- Effort: Since it’s often the cheapest option, self-storage requires the most effort on your end. You have to load and unload your things (whether into and out of a rented truck, or just by using a car or a borrowed vehicle) into the storage unit from your previous address, and then load everything back up and transport and unload everything at your new place.
Regardless of which option you choose, it’s important to do your research and compare companies to find the right one for you. Read website reviews and make sure you know the upsides and drawbacks of each option, and in working with each company you consider. Whatever you decide on, we wish you all the best with your move!